Every February 2nd, people celebrate National Tater Tots Day. People dedicate this day to remembering how good bite-sized potato nuggets taste. They savor this treat whose name literally means baby potatoes.
How tater tots came to be?
Tater tots came to life through two brothers, Nephi and Golden Grigg. Aided by their brother-in-law, they began playing with the idea of frozen food. Theym leased a plant on the border of Oregon and Idaho back in 1934. By 1952, they bought the plant and began Oregon Frozen Foods Company. After a number of years, it transformed into Ore-Ida.
To create tater tots, they season potatoes with different spices and bake them into casseroles. This makes tater tots anall-around food. From a meal, side dish, or even a snack, people just keep eating them. They dip it, pop it, or just merely savor its taste.
Recipes to try for National Tater Tots Day
Read through this for different recipes that your family will enjoy this National Tater Tots Day!
Cajun Tater Tot Waffle topped with Fresh Avocado Lump Crab Salad
Fresh Avocado Lump Crab Salad
- 4 ounces Lump Crab Meat
- 1 ounce Mayonnaise
- 1 ounce Yellow Bell Pepper, diced
- 1 ounce Avocado, diced
- 1 tsp Lemon Juice, fresh squeezed
- 1 tsp Fresh Garlic, chopped
- 1 tbsp Fresh Parsley, chopped
- Kosher Salt, to taste
- Black Pepper, to taste
Pickled Charred Tomato Chive Relish
- 2 ounces Charred Cherry Tomatoes, quartered
- 1 ounce Red Onion, fine diced
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 1 tbsp Chives, chopped
- 1 tsp Red Wine Vinegar
- Kosher Salt, to taste
Cajun Tater Tot Waffle
- 32 ounces Frozen Tater Tots, Thawed
- Cajun Seasoning, to taste
- Kosher Salt, to taste
- 1 ounce Fresh Parsley, chopped
- Combine all ingredients for the crab salad together and fold together lightly; careful not to break up the crab or bruise the avocado. Set aside for future use.
- Combine all ingredients for the charred tomato relish together. Set aside for future use.
- Preheat waffle iron, per instructions.
- Spray top and bottom of the waffle iron with non-stick spray.
- Place thawed tater tots in a tight, even layer into the waffle iron; making sure each one is touching each other.
- Sprinkle Cajun seasoning, salt and parsley on top of tater tots.
- Close the waffle iron, and follow waffle iron cooking instructions.
- Remove the finished waffle and place on a plate.
Chef’s Tip: Top the waffle with the Avocado Lump Crab Salad and garnish with the Charred Tomato Chive Relish!
Potato Tot Casserole
Ingredients for the braised beef
- 5 pounds beef short ribs, trimmed, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- ½ tablespoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 yellow onion, peeled, quartered
- 1 carrot, peeled, quartered
- 1 stalk celery, quartered
- 24 ounces stout (substitute other strong beer, beef stock or mushroom stock)
- 6 cups beef stock
- 1 sprig thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch, mixed with cold water to form a paste
For potato tots
- 12 large Idaho russet potatoes
- 5 tablespoons vegetable oil, plus 2 cups for frying
- 4 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Braised beef (ingredients above) plus reserved braising liquid
- 2 cups pearl onions, cooked
- 2 cups cremini mushrooms, cooked, quartered
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons black truffle paste
- Potato tots (see below)
- 1 cup gruyère cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives, chopped
*Note: If you cannot find truffle paste, replace the gruyère for grated truffle cheese. Unfortunately, truffles are so unique that there isn’t a substitute, especially in a dish that already uses mushrooms.
Preparation for braised beef
- PREHEAT the oven to 325°F. Season the short ribs with salt and pepper. Heat a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the vegetable oil and sear the beef on both sides, working in batches. Then remove it from the pot.
- KEEP the pot over medium heat, add the tomato paste and cook for 2 minutes. Add the onions, carrots and celery; brown slightly. Add the stout. Turn down the heat to low and reduce the liquid slightly. Place the beef back in the pot and add the beef stock, thyme and bay leaves. Bring to a simmer, cover and braise in the oven until tender, 30 to 40 minutes.
- REMOVE the meat from the braising liquid and reserve. Strain the liquid into a saucepan, bring to a boil and whisk in the cornstarch to thicken slightly.
Preparation for potato tots
- HEAT the oven to 350°F. Wash the potatoes well with water to remove all dirt. Lightly prick the potatoes with a fork and toss with 4 tablespoons vegetable oil and 2 tablespoons salt.
- SPREAD the potatoes out on a large baking sheet. Roast until tender, about 1 hour. Remove from the oven and allow to cool to room temperature, about 1 hour. Discard the skins.
- CUT the potatoes in half and press the flesh through a baking grate into a large mixing bowl. Season with 2 tablespoons salt and 1 tablespoon black pepper, then fold in 4 tablespoons olive oil.
- LINE a half sheet tray with parchment paper and lightly grease with 1 tablespoon vegetable oil. Firmly and evenly, press the potato mix into the tray. Cover with plastic wrap and allow to chill overnight.
- CUT the potato mixture into about 1-inch squares. Heat 2 cups of vegetable oil in a shallow fry pan to about 325°F. Carefully place the potato squares into the oil and fry until golden and crispy, flipping as needed and working in small batches so not to crowd the pan. Remove from the oil and drain on a paper towel-lined plate.
Preparation for the casserole
- PREHEAT the oven broiler to medium-high. Heat the braised beef in a large sauté pan with the thickened braising liquid, pearl onions and mushrooms. Once hot, add the heavy cream and fold in the truffle paste.
- DIVIDE the mixture between 6 metal dishes and top each with fried potato tots. Sprinkle gruyère cheese over the top. Broil until the cheese is melted. Garnish with chives and serve.
Now, what are you waiting for? Try out these recipes and feast with your families!